HISTORY

Although records show that there was curling in Kamloops in the early part of the century, the Kamloops Curling Club was organized in 1948 when the Memorial Recreation Commission purchased the land where the arena and curling club are now situated. The MRC raised enough money to build the Memorial Arena, and the Kamloops Curling Club raised funds through debentures to construct the curling building.

The Memorial Recreation Commission installed the brine pipes and hooked them up to the arena compressor.  A four sheet curling club at the corner of Seventh & Victoria Street was constructed and was officially opened on December 7, 1949.

The club was expanded in 1964 with two new sheets of ice completed on the easterly side and the installation of a compressor independent of the Memorial Arena.  In 1975 two more sheets of ice were added to the original building on the westerly side.  The existing 8 sheet curling rink is home to curlers of all ages and skill levels.

The inaugural executive of the Kamloops Curling Club was:

President:   Cy Clover
Vice President:    J.R. Archibald
Treasurer:    D.O. Vicars
Secretary:    W.E. Neil
Board of Directors:  J.A. Beaton | W.D. Brown | H.R. Dalgleish | W.J. Munro | F.T. Parker | J.T. Passmore | S.A. Wallace

The first bonspiel in Kamloops, the Sportsman’s Bonspiel was hosted at the new Kamloops Curling Club in 1950.  This bonspiel is one of the longest running and largest annual bonspiels in British Columbia.

The Crown of Curling men’s and women’s cash spiel was established in 1973 and runs annually in October.

In addition to hosting many regional and provincial championships, the Kamloops Curling Club and its members have hosted to national and international curling championships including:

1986: Canadian Mixed Curling Championship
1996: Labatt Brier men’s national curling championship
1998: Ford World Men’s and Women’s Curling championships
2003-08: Strauss Canada Cup of Curling – a CCA Season of Champions cashspiel serving as a qualifier for the Olympic Trials.

The Kamloops Curling Club is proud to be the home club of many championship teams.

The Kamloops Curling Club has honoured a number of its members
with a Life Membership:

Cy Glover, 1971 Harry Maralia, 1972 Al Norberg, 1973
Nick Marsh, 1978 Ralph Gerrie, 1981 Joe McKinnon, 1982
Ray Ottem, 1982 Ken Kashino, 1984 Ed McClinton, 1987
Dave Low, 1988 Tony Romano, 1991 D. K. (Bus) Ellis, 1992
Bert Thorne, 1992 Emil Jurista, 1992 Don Whyte, 1997
Clare Rein, 1999 Eve Skakun, 2004 Dianne Barker, 2005
Jim Krenz, 2009